Apple recently reported more nice round numbers for the App Store:
- 40 billion app downloads since the App Store launched
- 20 billion of those downloads are from 2012
- 2 billion for just December 2012
- App developers have been paid over $7 billion by Apple
- DragonVale and Clash of Clans, together earned $120 million in 2012
Horace Dediu at Asymco provides more context to those numbers with this insightful graphs:
We may think that the App Store economy is huge, but it’s actually just 1/3 of the total iTunes revenues. But Apps are growing almost twice as fast as other iTunes media. We’re definitely in the right business.