Nov 09

ShareKit has recently become one of my favorite iPhone open source projects. Just add a few lines of code to your app and you can instantly share text, URLs and other data via Email, Twitter, Facebook and a whole slew of other services.

I’ve found a couple of minor issues with the current release (version 0.2.1) of ShareKit, and I thought I’d share them to save you a couple of hours of debugging.

Error when building for device

This seems to be a known issue, that may depend on your Xcode install.

If you get 12 compiler errors when building for a device, starting with:

ShareKit/Core/SHK.m:35:28: error: objc/objc-class.h: No such file or directory

Then the solution is to change this import statement in SHK.m:

#import <objc/objc-class.h>


#import </usr/include/objc/objc-class.h>


#import <objc/runtime.h>

Hardcoding the path to something outside of Xcode or your project directories seems like bad idea. So I went with the second solution.

Conflicting Localizable.strings

The ShareKit project contains its own Localizable.strings files in the ShareKit / Localization directory. If your project is also localized there will be a conflict over which Localizable.strings file will be used at runtime.

There are a couple of ways to resolve this conflict:

  1. Remove the ShareKit files from your build target. This is the quickest solution, but you will lose the localizations provided in ShareKit (currently only German).
  2. Copy the contents of the Localizable.strings files from ShareKit to your Localizable.strings files. And then remove the ShareKit files from your build target. This works well when you have corresponding localizations.
  3. Rename the ShareKit files to ShareKitLocalizable.strings and then replace the NSLocalizedString macros in the ShareKit code with NSLocalizedStringFromTable where you can specify the ShareKitLocalizable.strings filename as the tableName.

written by Nick \\ tags: , , , , ,